Saturday 13 June 2009

Kursaal Vaudeville

Thursday 11th June 2009 was Southend Fringe Festival's Kursaal Vaudeville- a night of variety acts and a silent disco! It took place at the Kursaal Function Room on Southend Seafront from 8pm onwards.

The first act was one man band The Tumbledryer Babies. His lyrics are very amusing and the songs are short and end abruptly. It was only a short set so I am looking forward to the Anti Folk night which he is also playing at next week (Chinnerys on Thursday).

Next up was some readings from the Southend Poetry Group. They weren't really my sort of poems, but nevertheless I couldn't do what they do, stand up and read to a large audience- eep!

The next act was very bizarre. A guy stepped onto the stage, first said he had write a poem, and read some very short line, before saying that it was rubbish, and saying "sod that, here's mixatosis!" disappeared into the nearby toilets, came back out with a hat on his head, turned on a laptop with a mash up of Greenday- Amercian Idiot and Peaches- Bad reputation and proceeded to mime and roll around the floor a lot to this, and a few other mash ups. Like I said, it was bizarre :s

After he finished, Wendy Solomon and her pianist set up. She had an electric uke. but sadly one of her strings broke almost straight away. The pianist kept us entertained playing a tune while they tried to fix the problem. They didn't sort it out, but carried on regardless, and I thought it still sounded really good.

After Wendy, we heard some more poems from the poetry group.

Next was a group called Delusion, a group of tap dancers that is! Very cool it was too!

The last act of the perfomers was horrorabilly band The Voronas, who had a few sound problems but I thought you were great. All of the members were full of energy and what could be cooler than a double bass! I especially liked the version of "Everybody Wants to be Cat" :)

The silent disco ended up starting about 10.30pm with Emma and myself behind the decks. Was quite bizarre to have to two sets of equipment! The people that stayed got special wireless headphones with a switch so they could choose which dj to listen to. It was really hard to tell what they were listening to, and very funny to watch people dancing to no loud music! I was quite pleased that someone came up and asked who was playing daft punk (me) and that my set was really good :) It was so much fun I didn't want to stop hehe.
Here is my set list, probably not in exactly the right order, but all the songs anyway. I don't know what songs Emma played, although it was vastly different to mine!

Shiny Toy Guns- Le Disko
Basement Jaxx- Where's Your Head At?
Crystal Castles- Crimewave
Gossip- Standing in the Way of Control
Amanda Palmer- Guitar hero
LCD Soundsysten- Daft Punk is Playing at my House
Daft Punk- Robot Rock
Fatboy Slim- The Rockafeller Skank
Kasabian- Fire
Apollo 440- Stop The Rock
M.I.A- Paper Planes
The Hives- Hate to Say I Told You So
Le Tigre- I'm So Excited
Led Zeppelin- Rock n Roll
AC/DC- High Voltage




1 comment:

  1. I saw the photos on Facebook, it seems like it was a really fun & interesting night! Great playlist too :D

    ReplyDelete