Monday 15 August 2011

Interview: Georgia of Bitter Ruin!


I recently had the pleasure of speaking to Georgia, a member of the great band Bitter Ruin. We had a little chat about inspirations, feminism and the new single 'Trust' Here's what she said:
For readers that maybe unfamiliar with your music, how would you describe the sound of Bitter Ruin? 
 Georgia: Elements of rock, musical theatre, classical and flamenco. We have found the best genre description to be 'contemporary expressionism' - meaning that the style, mood, instrumentation etc changes according to the message of the song.    
  Have you had any classical music training or are you self taught?
  G: Both of us have been classically trained in Piano and we have degrees in music. But I always think there's a huge element of self tuition with anything your passionate about.   
   Bitter Ruin are recommended to fans of Dresden Dolls and there are certainly similar elements to your music. What was it like touring with Amanda Palmer? 
 G: Well, I think the core of the music is very different but there are similarities in the noir edge to the lyrics and the passionate delivery. Also, both bands are boy girl duos. Touring with Amanda is great fun, singin Delilah with the Dolls in Boston has to be one of the best moments of our career so far.(note- they are also supporting AFP on her London dates in September) 
 Who are your idols and how have they influenced your life- whether it be by music or another area of your life?  
Georgia and Ben: I (Georgia) Love Fiona Apple and also strong female performers like Beyonce, but I prefer the songwriting of people like Fiona or PJ Harvey. I (Ben) am really into Jeff Buckley and some heavier stuff too as well as the Flamenco greats, however, I have a soft spot for Stevie Wonder! 
 My radio show focuses on female fronted and all female bands, and has a feminist stance. Do you consider yourself to be a feminist? And do you think women in music get the attention they deserve? 
 G: Am I a feminist??? Have you HEARD our album?! Yes, hugely...all men are...no, just kidding! But, I don't think women are treated much differently to men in the industry these days, I know that I pretty much run this band and everything that goes on around it and I have never had to overcome any obstacles because of my sex. However, I purposefully try to look a little messy in videos and photos etc because I do worry that I'll look too glamorous (being young and blond and all) and that people will not take the music seriously. But I could never be bothered with make up anyway!
   What inspires Bitter Ruin's songwriting? Is it an easy process? 
 G: I'd say that it could be easy...but we manage to make it as hard as possible! - The songs always come from real life experiences, I think good songs can ONLY come from real life. They tend to be written by me  and then we'll spend hours and hours on the harmonies and guitar parts...I'd say each song takes 30 hours of arrangement before we're ready to rehearse it!!! 
 Tell us about your new single 'Trust' what's the song about, the story behind the video and when can people buy it? 
 G: HAHA! Yes, well amazingly Stephen Fry just tweeted the video yesterday. It had 7500 views overnight! But the song is essentially an argument. It's a desperate rant and lull between two lovers who are in the turmoil of a vicious break up...screaming and slamming doors and all that drama!  Trust is available for 'official' download on the 3.10.11 - But if you join our twitter/facebook/mailing list at www.bitterruin.com, we'll remind you about that! 
 Any tour dates coming up? 
G: LOADS...we're doing a huge UK tour with the likes of Amanda Palmer and Duke Special, we're bound to be somewhere near you soon, wherever you live. All of the dates are on the website too.  Any bands you would like to recommend to my readers?  If you haven't heard of her, Fiona Apple and also Jack Weissman, he's supporting us on tour! He rocks!  When can fans expect a new album?  CRIKEY! Yes, erm, we have all of the songs ready to go, it's just a case of finding time to record...I hope we'll record in December and maybe have something out by May 2012 - but don't hold me to that!    

No comments:

Post a Comment