Wednesday 1 May 2013

Interview with Sue Denim

I recently had a little chat with Sue Denim, who was one half of electro punk noise makers Robots in Disguise who has now become a nature loving, offline- weekending, acoustic songstress (and mother to be)! with the recent release of her solo debut album 'And the Unicorn'. Check out what she had to say:

Hayley: You recently released your solo album 'And the Unicorn' on your own record label, it's quite a departure from the music you make with Robots in Disguise- what made you decide to change direction for your solo work? Is it something you've always wanted to do?
 
Sue: I didn't really have a big plan, maybe I should've! I just wrote some songs, bought myself a really nice guitar for the first time in my life (other than my gorgeous Fender Precision bass which I bought second hand right at the start of being in a band!) and decided to just record them very simply. I had met David Wrench and really liked his way of recording like this, plus wanted it to be easy to replicate live without either a band or backing track.
 
 
Hayley: What inspired the lyrics on the album?
Sue: I find everything inspires lyrics. Life, love, books, bikes...and yeah, North Wales, lately.
 
 
 
Hayley: What has the reception been like to the album?
 
Sue: Really lovely! I'm so pleased about it, and it's really gratifying that it's brought enjoyment to people other than just moi. Would be nice to reach some more folks but that's a challenge on a lo-budget self-release. 
 
Hayley: What's the newest single and why have you selected that particular song? 
 
Sue: 'Hollow'  I love the simplicity of this song, and I knew a simple video would work with it. Plus my publisher told me it sounded like a single!

 
Hayley: How did the tour go last year? What tour plans have you got for this year?
 
Sue: Great ..well except for me having gastro-enteritis...! Oh and the small matter of promoters threatening cancellation which was a bit stressful..but in the end, all good. By the final few gigs I was no longer vomiting backstage before the gigs! The audiences were really lovely.
 
 
Hayley: Do you plan to record another solo album?
 
Sue: Yep! Soon...ish!
 
Hayley: Any plans with Robots in Disguise this year?
 
Sue: No. I guess we're on indefinite hiatus or whatever it's called. 
 
Hayley: You recently moved to Wales, what's that been like?
 
Sue: Hard at first, I missed the big city. But I love it now, finally. Fresh air, nice tastin' tap water, a room of my own to write songs in, and love - what more could I possibly want?
 
Hayley: On Twitter, you often promote things like 'Offline weekends' and only spending time online between 9 and 9. What made you start doing this?
 
Sue: I was just spending WAY too much time looking at screens and I couldn't afford new glasses. I operate quite well with rules too, as long as it's me who makes em! (And therefore gets to break em when I feel like it!)
 
Hayley: Are you an active feminist? What sort of things do you do? (protests, groups etc?)
 
Sue: Yeah! Lately a bit less active though, I'm slowing down a bit just recently, but will rev up again after the summer. I don't wanna stress out my foetus with too much political rage!
But, yeah, I love a good protest! There's not very much feminist protesting in the streets that goes on in Bangor but I did organise a couple of protests to raise awareness about Pussy Riot. I'm also in a feminist group here in Bangor. 
 
Hayley: Which women inspire you and why?
 
Sue: Vocal feminists. Non-comformistes.
My mum. Peaches. Emily Jones. Ah... there's masses of inspiring women! Can't name em all!
 
 
Hayley: what advice would you give to other women who want to try self- releasing their music like you have done?
 
Sue: Go for it! But don't expect to get rich ! And do expect to have somewhat less time to spend on music! 
Image
Thanks again to Sue for taking the time out to answer my questions. If you haven't already, go buy the album (click this link)!


No comments:

Post a Comment