Sunday 26 February 2012

Review: Rock In Your Pocket- Gutterdub release date:5th March

Rating: ****

Rock in Your Pocket were first brought to my attention when I wrote this introducing piece for thegirlsare, based on hearing their single 'Doubtbox'. I was undeniably impressed with what I heard and felt their sound was something refreshing in a sea of mild mannered women singers that seem to be overplayed and overrated at the moment. So when singer Charlie gave me the opportunity to listen to their debut Gutterdub it was an offer I couldn't refuse.

'Doubtbox' was a mere scratch on the surface of what Rock in Your Pocket are capable of. The band are only a three piece but judging by Gutterdub, have the sound of a much larger outfit. The album is dirty, raw and rocking throughout. My immediate comparison is to Queen Adreena, but I by no means want to sell this band short as despite my comparison I feel the band has an original and fresh sound. I am yet to witness Rock in Your Pocket live, but if this album is anything to go by, I feel like it would complete the experience.

Asides from 'Doubtbox', I'm also particularly drawn to 'Nobody's Bitch But Mine', a track that feels empowering and also anthem like, a perfect driving start to this album, that is well worth taking time to check out.

The band play gigs regularly, and their next gig is their album launch party which is taking place on Friday 2nd March at the Jubilee at the Barfly in London.


I think there is a real lack of heavier, guitar based female fronted bands at the moment that aren't in the vein of bands like Nightwish and Lacuna Coil. Some are starting to emerge to a great reception for example Wild Flag. Is it time we saw even more girls rocking out? Why are these amazing bands more in the spotlight instead of the likes of Adele and Lana Del Ray?





No comments:

Post a Comment